The Harvard Business Review recently tried to tackle â€śthe trouble with salespeople.â€ť According to the publication, 9% of sales meetings end in a sale, and one out of every 250 salespeople exceed their goals.
But why? Researchers Lynette Ryals and Iain Davies observed 800 sales professionals and came up with some interesting data.
The best of the best salespeople (37%) fell into three categories: experts, closers and consultants. The rest, 63%, were storytellers, focusers, narrators, aggressors and socializers.
Experts, at the top of the food chain (9% of salespeople), are good at seven skills:
- Meeting prep
- Customer interaction
- Company presentation
- Presentation and rapport
- The sales pitch
- Rising to the challenge
According to the Business Review, consultants (15%) â€ślisten well and are good problem solvers; and closers (13%) can pull off big product sales, but their smooth-talking style doesnâ€™t work as well for selling services.â€ť
To read the rest of this fascinating study, check out the infographics on the website.