There is nothing more essential in the business world than growth and increased opportunity. It is a natural aspect of most organizations here in North Dakota. Most of the focus is on the big picture; how is the collective organization doing? How are sales? What are the profits for the month? It is critical to focus on individuals as well. A one to one approach to success is usually a successful one. Individual human capital, knowledge and experience, are as valuable as money and profits.
When new employees come on board consider pairing an experienced individual with the new member of the organization. Sharing information, skills, and abilities helps both employees grow and it creates an excellent avenue for improvement.
For the new employee:
- Confidence: This can grow quickly with the right partnering.
- Self Esteem: Paying attention to the new person really helps with assurance and certainty.
- Productivity: Positive results always improve the bottom line.
- Enthusiasm: With a jumpstart on success, morale is always a key aspect.
For the experience staffer:
- Leadership: Being in charge of someone’s professional growth improves this critical skill.
- Problem solving: Learning takes place for both employees with each challenge.
- Decision making: With the focus on success, each choice creates increased understanding.
- Skill set: Improving facilitation and mentoring skills make the experienced person a more valuable member of the team.
Pairing a seasoned individual with a new one is cost effective and it indeed merges collective skill sets into successful results. It builds action plans based on what takes place, and it grows connections. This partnering increases knowledge and that alone supports improved performance.
Finally, document the experience with notes and weekly summaries that will set the tone for the next pairing. Pairing experience with inexperience is an aspect of business that often never gets the attention; but mentoring truly works.
This post on mentoring is brought to you by the good folks at Dale Carnegie Training of North Dakota, providers of professional development and management development courses and information in North Dakota. We would love to connect with you on Facebook.
Photo Credit: insperity.com